In this digital age, as we all depend on the internet for our daily needs, the importance of Cyber Security has been increasing since data breaches and attacks are becoming more common. Most organizations are recognizing the need to protect themselves from cyber-attacks. And, this increases the need for a Cyber Security Expert.
Cyber Security is a rapidly-growing and lucrative field. As a Cyber Security expert, you’ll be constantly facing new challenges and will work towards maintaining the security of your organization’s data. Therefore, it becomes very important to obtain a Cyber Security certification to stay relevant in the industry.
In this blog, we’ll cover some useful tips to become a cybersecurity expert.
What is a Cyber Security Expert?
In short, a Cyber Security expert is responsible for protecting an organization’s data from unauthorized access, threats, hacks, and vulnerabilities.
Cyber Security specialists perform this by examining weaknesses, keeping track of systems and networks for persistent threats, and then finding solutions if any threat is found.
Roles and Responsibilities of Cyber Security Specialists
Besides, a Cyber Security expert would also have to concentrate on continually testing and monitoring the systems for vulnerabilities and effectiveness.
Cyber Security specialists are often called web security specialists, data security specialists, or IT security specialists. Whatever role you’ll play, the key responsibilities of all these roles would remain the same.
Let’s check out the crucial roles and responsibilities that you would have in a Cyber Security career.
- Analyzing an organization’s security needs and implementing best practices
- Planning, implementing, maintaining, monitoring, and upgrading all security measures to protect organizational data from unauthorized access
- Responding to all data breaches in the network or related systems
- Performing penetration testing at regular intervals
- Testing and scanning the networks, systems for vulnerabilities
- Taking part in the change management process
- Identifying and resolving network and security related issues
- Managing day-to-day administrative tasks such as reporting and communication with the relevant departments in the organization
Qualifications Required to become a Cyber Security Expert
According to the job description listed above, a Cyber Security expert should possess the following skills and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in IT or Systems Engineering, Computer Science, or a relevant field
- Strong coding knowledge in C++, Java, or Go
- Proficiency in scripting languages such as Python, Ruby, Node, or PowerShell
- Outstanding communication and problem-solving skills
- Knowledge of basic Computer Forensics
- Attention to detail
- Technical Aptitude and up to date knowledge of recent Cyber Security trends
- In-depth knowledge of hacking
- A desire to learn
Demand for Cyber Security Experts
By 2021, there will be a huge demand for Cyber Security professionals and will result in 3.5 million unfilled jobs, according to “The New York Times”.
Cyber Security is one of the fastest-growing fields and job opportunities will remain to increase further as our world depends more on the web.
Though, the lack of Cyber Security professionals is still high. With proper training, individuals who are interested in this field will meet the industry’s needs and find themselves with rewarding career opportunities.
There are numerous Cyber Security jobs available for those willing to start their career in web security. Some of the most common job roles included in this domain are:
- Security Engineer
- Security Consultant
- Security Administrator
- Information Security Analyst
- Security Director
- Chief Information Security Officer
- Security Software Developer
- Security Architect
- Forensic Expert
- Source Code Auditor
- Security Manager
- Penetration Tester
Average Salary for Cyber Security Professionals
With the increasing demand for Cyber Security professionals, the average salary of Cyber Security experts has risen to $74,000 per annum, as per the recent report. Besides, an experienced Cyber Security professional earns an average of $96,000 per annum.
In India, an entry-level Cyber Security expert earns an average of ₹407,678 per year. A Cyber Security Analyst with 5-9 years of experience earns an average of ₹956,479 p.a. An experienced Cyber Security Analyst with 10-19 years of experience earns an average of ₹1,350,000 annually, according to PayScale.
Though, individuals who are interested in Cyber Security careers must understand that the salary for Cyber Security experts depends on several factors. The salary of a Cyber Security professional is determined based on skills, experience, and location.
Nevertheless of the range, a Cyber Security expert can earn better pay amongst other IT professionals.
Steps to Become a Cyber Security Expert
There are several reasons to build a career in Cyber Security. Amongst all other professions, Cyber Security roles offer huge salaries, numerous growth opportunities, job security, interesting daily tasks, and the opportunity to make a difference.
If you’re interested in building a career in Cyber Security, then the first step is earning a bachelor’s degree in IT, Computer Science, Cyber Security, or a similar field.
An experienced Cyber Security professional can focus on earning a master’s degree in a related field as it’s essential to become a Senior Cyber Security Engineer. In addition to this, gaining equivalent experience with relevant industry certifications will make you stand out from the crowd.
Here are some useful Cyber Security certifications that help you to enhance your career in Cyber Security.
- Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH)
- Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP)
- ECSA: EC-Council Certified Security Analyst
- CISA: Certified Information Systems Auditor
- Certified Information Security Manager (CISM)
- CompTIA Security+
- CCNA: Cisco Certified Network Associate Security
- Cisco Certified Network Professional Security (CCNP Security)
- Web Application Penetration Tester (GIAC)
If you’re aiming to get certified, enrolling in Cyber Security certification training will help you to gain the necessary skill sets that are needed to excel in this field.
Since Cyber Security is an ever-growing field, you should never stop learning. Keep yourself up-to-date with the latest Cyber Security news and hacker tactics by reading relevant IT and security blogs, magazines, and news sites.
Refer to some useful cybersecurity websites and keep an eye over cybersecurity message boards like Information Security Stack Exchange for the latest news in the industry.
Cyber Security is a crucial and sensitive domain and organizations are looking for talented, experienced, and ethical candidates.
Also read – How Do Spy Apps For Android Help Track Children?
That’s no wonder, Cyber Security professionals work in every industry to protect organizations from hacking and cyber-attacks. And, the need for Cyber Security experts is growing at a high-speed. Huge demand for Cyber Security means this is the perfect time to pursue a career in this fast-growing field.
If you’re excited to build a career in Cyber Security, start learning today.